Monday 11 February 2013

Change-its scary, but so necessary.

At a certain point in some people's lives, upon turning age 25, they may start feeling discontent with certain parts of their lives. It could be with your current lifestyle, relationship or for most-their careers.
This is also one of the most inconvenient times to start feeling unsure about work. The career is stable, the bills are consistent  and there's a smooth and solid  borrowing and paying back relationship with the bank. Rocking this boat WILL not be nice.

The big silent questing:What if it doesn't work out??

Deciding that this may not be the right place for me may not be the greatest feeling. This may be because change is soo damn painful. I don't know why it has to be so, but it is. An old friend liked to remind me that 'A person will remain the same until the pain of remaining the same becomes greater than the pain of change'. Famous words by the wise prophet Arthur Burt. As much as change is painful, so is remaining in a space you are not suited for.  Internal unrest, lack of peace, feeling drained and that I'm not doing my purpose. All feelings that come with this discontent that signifies a need for change. Remember if you change nothing, nothing will change.

This confirms what I have only recently figured out. That 'this change' I'm searching for may just start at the end of my comfort zone. Which isn't really ideal cos y'know, I like my current status quo. I realise that change doesn't have anything to do with what I'm doing now. I know its always good, but the process is sometimes so scary and painful that...one almost just decides to leave it nje.  


Now, I can write as many pieces dissecting change and its pros and cons, I can talk to my friends about it til I'm blue in the face. However, at some point, I must be willing to do the work. It takes work to get change. A seed to become a flower must be dug into the ground, watered and pruned, til when the season comes, the seed will burst and a sprout will come out. It takes work even then. When the season comes, if you worked hard on your seed, your tree will bear fruit. Metamorphosis is a process and for you to see change, you better be willing to take that first step.

So lets make 2013 a year of change! Change the things you don't like. Change your friends if you don't like them. Don't be scared of taking that first step. If you fall, you can always just get up and try again...or go back and beg for your old life back...it aint a train smash.

I'm petrified of the thoughts in my head. What could be. its times like these where you remember that poem by Marianne Williamson...'our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate...our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. I am aware that all the experiences I have had in the past prepared me for this change. Nothing was ever a coincidence. Here I'd like you to refer to the book of Esther 4:14. 

It gets tiring to listen to a stationary, seemingly very comfortable person talk about how discontent they are. Like, seriously, get up! Change it! Besides, if what you’re doing is not your passion, you have nothing to lose.Sell your car if you have to!

 Or accept it and learn to make the best of it. You could focus all the energy you've been using on complaining on your current situation and who knows, a change in attitude could be all you actually were craving. And all may look awesome after this simple change in the mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment