Wednesday 1 August 2012

On being fat.

One thing I took very lightly as a teen was weight gain (and the 3-step face routine).
I had a stunning physique, never had to diet or drink water or take stairs. I just gorged and remained as I was.
The 'Fat problem' started after I gave birth to Renda. I went to work a few days after giving birth, in a size 34 denim skirt to collect my documents for UIF. I remember this so well cos I didn't have anything in my closet that fit me after the pregnancy,so my friend lent me her denim skirt that I'd been lusting after while preggies.
Anyway.
I went to Venda after that and as you know, I was a mudzadze(new mummy) and was confined to the house with food galore constantly coming to me. The elders claim eating more produces more milk for the baby...I'm not sure how true that is cos I didn't have much milk....or maybe I did...feeding a baby from your boob is not only gross, it HURTS! So I did it as little as possible. However,I continued eating like a famined Rwandan refugee.
I went back to work 3 months later and I was...well,fat. I didn't own a scale so I can't really say how big.
Its now 5 years down the line and I'm a known fatty by now. I wouldn't be insulted or surprised if someone while trying to explain to someone who Chino is put their hands to the side to indicate 'bigness'. The other would probably get me quicker that way. My boss, Quinton,called me Mafutha at some point. I accepted it.


Well,its 2012,I've tried EVERY diet pill on the market and below,I've paid thousands into losing weight with no results.
The other day I got on my scale (I've owned one since last year), and I was almost at 3digits. Whooaahhh,that was a huge slap in the face for me. I decided to try something I've never tried before-exercise. It might sound like an obvious 1st choice for anyone else, it never was an option to me.
So I'm skipping rope like a possessed person every night (abt 1395 skips-which burns only 179calories,I have a digital rope so it tells me). I also go to Curves daily and there I go all out huffing and puffing and sweating. I guess signing up at a Curves for starters wasn't such a ridiculous idea. I wouldn't want some guy from work to see me exerting myself the way I do at Curves. I also take the stairs-to the 7th floor-EVERY time. That's 190steps.
I've decided,or rather realised,that I won't lose weight by wanting to lose weight. I have to get up and do something about it.
Since the 17 th of July, I've lost 3kg. I was at 90.3 and today I'm at 88.0. I actually don't like numbers...but I guess I can't do this without them hey.
Who wouldve ever thought I'd be counting calories and able to convert my weight to pounds outta my head?
This is my journey.
My Top 5 Reasons for wanting to lose weight:
1. Being fat is not cool.I'm not sick so why should I not wish to not be at least a normal weight. Falling into the obese box is not ok!
2. Its very hard to look good when you're fat. Yes,you may dress waaaay better than the thinner people-but you're still fat.Hiding lumps and bumps doesnt work well with silk dresses.
3. Fat is uncomfortable. It feels like a second body stifling me from outside. I'm in here screaming HELLLPP!
4. I deleted point 4 cos it was mean to self.
5. I guess this should have something to do with health.
But my health was actually not suffering yet. Its mostly about how I'll look to be honest.

2 comments:

  1. By the way, the skips have gone up to +3000 per day. :) That's about 293calories a go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. u giving me a challenge,im ryt behind u

    ReplyDelete