Friday 22 March 2013

At work the Friday after a public holiday


Why is it surprising that I came to work today? Last week in our meeting, my boss assumed I’d be off today even though I had not filled in for leave. I accept, I do tend to fill in last-minute leave…but…y’know…its emergencies. I also realise I like to take such weekends for going to Venda. Under normal circumstances I’d be gone from probably Tuesday night til the 1st of April. However, Renda is coming tomorrow so there was no need for me to take leave for these few days. Of course I thought of taking today off. I however decided against it. It just didn’t make financial sense to me. I mean, that’s almost wasting a leave day, I was probably gonna go shopping thereby using money instead of sitting here and earning money. Besides, I tend to concentrate better when there’s less people in the office.

When I walked in today, Lawrence, a guy who hardly speaks to me save a greeting here and there by the water cooler was surprised I came to work. He asked me what happened. I told him I didn’t need the day off. He laughed and asked me what I was trying to prove. I told him ‘my dedication’. I have actually not missed a day of work his year. Not even when I was sick. I’ve decided to take leave only when absolutely necessary. Two other people have since expressed their surprise at seeing me here today. Both of them absolute randoms that have never spoken to me before. Wow. It musta been a real surprise for them to finally speak to me. There was a bulky white guy in the lift, then a lady at the smoking area.
I must say, Sanlam is a whole lot more ‘whiter’ today. Yes, that’s possible. I guess most black people godukad (went home) since its almost Easter. Xhosas are a whole lot more prone to going to the Eastern Cape during these times. I once sat next to this top model chick who lives and works in London on a flight to Cape Town. She said her parents can take her missing any other holidays, NEVER Easter. She had to get home so they could all drive up to the Eastern Cape. So that’s what it looks like here today.

Well…there is the other fact that majority of the black people within Sanlam are young and young people love long weekends. Well, vha do lata u crama mukegulu nga nwenda. That’s a Venda saying meaning ‘you must not cram(associate) an old woman with a nwenda.’ Nwenda once again is our traditional clothes. One day the old woman will wear leggings jong. Ok…that doesn’t sound suprising to some of ya’ll but…if my grandma was in leggings I’d also not recognise her. I’m babbling.

I’m at work on a Friday after a public holiday, whoop whooooop!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment